Wednesday 25 June 2014

Mia's Review: MUCOTA Rebonding @ Focus Hairdressing

I didn't have the intention of giving a blog review on my MUCOTA Rebonding experience at Focus Hairdressing when I went for the appointment. But the ever so indecisive me decided that I'm going to give a short review of it, almost 3 weeks after the rebonding session, hence the serious lack of proper pictures for this post. 
Just, bear with me yeah? :)

-picture credits to Focus Hairdressing-

 Focus Hairdressing is conveniently located at Cuppage Plaza level 1 (opposite Cuppage Terrace), within comfortable walking distance from Somerset MRT. I've did some quick research and decided to give Focus a try, based on almost NO bad reviews for their Mucota Rebonding, albeit a few criticisms do exist for some of their stylists who might be lacking in some haircutting skills as compared to Marcus (lead stylist). 

I did a pretty last minute appointment booking (2 days in advance for a weekend) and managed to get a slot (with no preference of stylists) for 11am (right when they open) on a Saturday. I didn't want to request for Marcus, because who knows how long will the next available appointment date be. I reached the salon promptly at 11:05am, and was tended to by KC, their senior stylist.

This is not my first rebonding experience (I started rebonding my hair 10 yrs back) and I'm sure that even if you haven't done rebonding before, you should know what's it all about. So I shall skip all the procedures and what not.

One of my pet peeve while having my hair rebonded is that I'm always passed from stylist to stylist, and even to trainees (yikes!) as the session progresses, and there MUST always be at least 2 stylists/trainees blow drying and/or flat ironing my hair. 
Yes, I know my hair is friggin thick and long, but do you really have to pass me on like a baton and subsequently share me like a piece of meat?
And the sad thing is, I wasn't spared from this over at Focus. Initially KC was really nice and attentive as he blew dried my hair alone after giving it an initial wash, and cut away 3.5" of my horribly dried ends. 
But barely 1/4 into application of the straightener cream, he turned to the guy, who's in charge of sweeping the floor, for help. 

Err, okay lor....

After that, I pretty much got stuck with the sweep apprentice, even for hair wash, flat ironing, application of neutraliser, and the pear shine treatment. KC left me in his hands midway through flat-ironing to tend to another walk-in customer and only came back for a brief moment to tell him what to do with the neutraliser. 

Oh well, at least the apprentice didn't cut my hair, eh? 

I've tried Loreal Rebonding and Shideido Crystallizing Straight Rebonding before. And if you think Shiseido gives you soft and smooth enough rebonded hair, wait till you try Mucota Rebonding. Loreal obviously was the worst of the lot, giving me wiry straight wig-like hair.

Here's how my hair look, 1 day after the rebonding session. 
My hair obviously was pretty flat and straight, soft and flowy (because there was wind in my hair, duh!). 

 And here's how my hair look 2 to 3 weeks after the rebonding session. It has gained some volume after my daily washes (expected as my hair is stubbornly curly), and developed some natural waves (especially at the fringe area) to frame my face/glasses.
I really like how it turns out to give me naturally bouncy, straight looking hair, rather than an obviously rebonded one.

Giving you an idea of how unnaturally straight my hair was after Loreal rebonding. See that turf of wire-straight fringe that extended (as a structurally trained engineer, I'm really tempted to describe it as cantilever but I don't think this joke will be well received here) over my glasses frame and basically just went on sticking out from the side of my face because it's not soft enough to droop down?
*rofl*

For more details on Focus Hairdressing, visit their FB page HERE
For my review of their latest Mucota Omega Oil Therapy, click HERE

Till then,
Mia

38 comments:

  1. This is really cool! :D I usually temporarily straighten my hair on my own. but after the first or second try I stopped as my hair is too thin. :/

    Gig Love,
    Siew Hui
    http://3verythingilove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, i have really thick hair, lots of volume... so rebonding works really well for me.
      if your hair is thin, you should go for perms. maybe you can try magic volume rebonding. the newest korean hairdo. it rebonds your roots but gives you c or s curls at the ends. :)

      Delete
  2. I had my hair rebonded once but I kind of regretted it immediately after. My hair normally has nice volume, but it became so limp after and I didn't like it. From now on I'm just getting it relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heard of relaxing, but not familiar with it. how long does one treatment last?

      Delete
  3. My hair is far too fine to get it rebonded and I suit it quite wavy. It's a good job we're all different. Glad this worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had my hair rebonded before and I really like it because it looked so natural, however, I hated how my hair became really thin after that. OTL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you mean you had thick hair but after rebonding it thins out your hair? did you experienced hair loss?

      Delete
  5. You are looking gorgeous dear. I have never tired rebonding. I don't think it will suit my thing hair. GIG love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much did u do for this rebonding? You know Somerset price always scared me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're pretty cheap! $160 for now as they're still having promo.

      Delete
  7. very nice finished look..
    looks natural and straight perfectly..
    but i hope its not damage your hair, same experienced with mine after 1 year rebonding.. its gonna turn red and unhealthy hair .. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your hair become more bouncy after few weeks of rebonding! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually love the first week after your rebonding ,it's bouncy and seem smooth but after 2-3 weeks uh oh ,I had rebonding too ,I experienced hair loss ,it's crazy ,it's like bald on the back side ,after that I never rebond my hair again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, i guess the stylist has damaged your scalp with the chemicals? i've been rebonding 2x a yr for about 10 yrs now. there was once this really sucky aunty hairdresser who slapped the straightening cream right onto my scalp and i had blisters and falling hair for weeks too!

      Delete
  10. i always do hair rebonding too..but now i tend to go for hair relaxing which look more natural...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the end result of rebounding but also hated the fact that how much it cause hair damage cause of high heat and different chemicals being applied on hair during procedure. Your hair looks nice x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hair wouldn't like it.. too thin and too weak :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look gorgeous with the new hair... tho I am not a huge fan of rebonding.. prefer perming... :D

    www.smallnhot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. ive never heard of rebounding before :/ getting passed along is the worst

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried rebonding too and loved it - glad it works for you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your hair, I hate going from stylist to stylist. Annoys me so much!
    GIG LOVE | The Life of Leeshastarr

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're hair looks great! I've never heard of rebonding your hair. I'm interested in trying it though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! How many hours did you wait before washing your hair? Also, did you use any special shampoo or conditioner? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D you mean washing out the straightening cream, or washing hair on my own after the session? For straightening cream, it was about 45 mins to 1 hr (stylist will gauge it). As for my daily hair wash, I washed my hair after 1 day. Was advised to not wash for 2 days though....
      I don't use special shampoo for rebonded hair now. Tried once and didn't see the difference to normal shampoos. But I'm using shiseido hair mask and I strongly recommend it if your hair is dry from chemical treatments. But only the hair mask. Their shampoo and conditioner aren't worth the price tag.

      Delete
  19. Hair blowing lightly in the wind, the best look to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. u can try using watson beer wax hair treatment and a steam cap blow the hot hair in to have the hair steam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watsons house brand beeswax treatment? It's good?

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mia

    I'm Agent G from Beauty Undercover, a website reviewing beauty salons in Singapore :)
    While searching online, we came across your blog commenting on Focus Hairdressing

    Would you mind if we publish an excerpt of your blog post and link to your page here: http://www.beautyundercover.sg/hair/focus-hairdressing-cuppage-plaza/

    Your blog post would help others know more about an experience at the salon, make a better salon decision and at the same time, increase your blog traffic.

    Let us know :) and hope you have a great week ahead.

    Regards,
    Agent G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'm glad to share my experience with more people too!

      Delete
  23. Hi Mia, after reading your review it really makes me wanna try the mucota rebonding. but im really worried on how long it gonna last and what happen after a few months. could you tell me how's you hair condition now after a few months of mucota rebonding? Thank You soo much:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! My hair right now is still straight and still looks like the picture i posted for the condition after 2 to 3 weeks, except that my curly roots has grown out a little. my rebonded hair never curled back though, be it mucota, shiseido or loreal. i usually touch up once a yr (max).

      Delete
  24. Nice hair dressing, if you have this kind of skills, you can apply for a job on this hairdresser jobs in South Australia. You can see their full post on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  25. article useful for all readers, I think this would be beneficial for me and many other readers
    thank you for sharing.
    Best Hair Rebonding Tips After Rebonding Hair
    .

    ReplyDelete
  26. How to maintain rebonded hair. Tips for hair loss

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am thinking of stopping on going to parlor shops for my hair to be rebonded. This hair of mine was rebonded for 4 times already "once a year." At present my hair still looks good. I discovered a good formula for it to remain straight and silky. I have noticed that using shampoo every day is not healthy for my hair. I am using more of hair conditioner rather than a shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Gyss check out this....

    Nice Blog,
    Thank you for post this blog which is very helpful information.

    Visit Site: hair rebonding

    ReplyDelete