Wednesday 24 April 2013

Words from Mia: Molly's haybox woes

Did I tell you that Molly is a hay monster? She munches on hay almost 24/7, non-stop. One overspilling shoebox worth of hay can only last Molly throughout the night while I sleep, which is actually less than 6 hrs, on a weekday. Yes, poor sleep deprived me. And our mischevious hay monster has given me my first problem. Molly's haybox woes.

This is Molly's first generation haybox, which basically just lasted us one night. I was still wondering how on earth did Molly destroy her haybox the next morning when I found it in this sorry state. She picked at it, perhaps?
And so, I switched it to a plastic basket, thinking that Molly wouldn't be able to destroy it this time round. Yes of course, she couldn't. But my haybox woes still continues. Why? You'll see.
See, this is why! She jumps right into the haybox to munch as the hay depletes. That was how she destroyed the first generation (shoebox) haybox! Even after repeated nudging and "NO!", Molly still continued to munch on hay inside her haybox. And of course, every morning i find a good amount of poop and pee among the last few bits of hay, which could have been added back into the haybox after it's cleaned.
Waste of hay (and money)!
So I've pretty much have got no choice but to change her haybox again. This time round I've chosen a very shallow plastic tray. It still contributes to hay wastage as you can see that Molly will pull more hay out of the box and letting them mix with her own poop and pee, but it's not as bad as having her poop and pee all over the entire basket of hay. Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this!
 

On a side note, I've unknowingly introduced two brand new vegetables to Molly for tonight's dinner. Watercress (which helps when bunny's urine turns cloudy) and Chinese Celery. Got worried when Molly started sulking and ignoring the veggies totally and immediately checked with HRSS to realised that she's not trained to eat either one. I gave up on the idea that she'll eat them eventually when she's too hungry (there's always unlimited hay for the hay monster) and picked out the Chinese Celery and replaced them with her usual Romaine Lettuce. And as I typed, she's currently picking out those Romaine Lettuce to eat while avoiding those Watercress.
What a picky bunny!
 
Till then,
Mia

0 comments:

Post a Comment