Friday 24 May 2013

Mia's Candy Review: Peppermint Roca

Did I tell you I'm a chocolate addict? Well, actually I love all sweets, but can't deny that chocolate tops it all. I forgot when I first fell in love with Brown&Haley Almond Roca, probably sometime when I was experiencing my hall life in NTU. I remember I fell in love with the pink round container itself when I first saw it on the supermarket shelves when I was young, but my mother never bought it for me. Too expensive, she chided. So when I moved into hall when I got into NTU, I finally bought myself a tin when I saw it selling at Nanyang Mart (which has ceased to exist in NTU now) and I ended up getting addicted to it! Pretty much emptied out the whole tin at one go.
Okay, enough of all the reminiscing. For now, the (supposedly) Limited Edition Dark Chocolate Peppermint Roca is taking over.

I saw it on the shelves sitting beside the Almond Roca and Macademia Roca and immediately got attracted to the packaging. Yes, it seems like I'm rather superficial when it comes to food. I can't resist pretty packaging. Although I'm not much a fan of peppermint (I even dislike peppermint chocolate, no joke), I simply adore dark chocolate. And looking at the cute candy cane white and red stripe packaging, which is so pretty and festive (even though Christmas is long over), I knew I have to get it.
The design of the packaging is simple. The carton like box opens up at the top to reveal a Roca logo imprinted foil packet which keeps the individually foil wrapped candies. Upon snipping the foil packet open, I was welcomed by a strong peppermint scent which has everything else overpowered. Hmm, not very promising.
The candies are individually wrapped in the same white and red stripes foil wrapper which opens up to reveal the dark chocolate coated buttercrunch toffee candy with white chocolate drizzled over the top. Just like any other Roca, the buttercrunch toffee break easily into a clean crisp cut with an easy bite, revealing the pretty amber coloured toffee and little chunks of peppermint candy, which acts more like the 'surprise centre' of the candy than to be contributing to the taste, for the bulk of the peppermint taste (and smell) actually comes from the peppermint oil added into the classic Roca buttercrunch.
As I chew down on the candy, I found that I actually like it, which is rather surprising given that I dislike all sorts of mint chocolate. The dark chocolate, buttercrunch toffee, and peppermint blends together pretty well to give a flavourful taste. The toffee, as always, is hard and crispy yet chews down softly (you'll understand if you love Roca candies) to reveal its sweet buttery flavour after the dark chocolate has melted away. The addition of peppermint, surprisingly, has not overpowered the usual goodness of a Roca candy, but added a seasonal flavour to it without taking away what's characteristic of a Roca candy. Even though the peppermint smell can be rather overpowering from within the packet, it blends into the mixture very nicely to give a distinct yet subtle peppermint aftertaste to the candy.

If you've always been a fan of mint chocolates, you definitely has to give this a try. It won't disappoint.

Till then,
Mia


0 comments:

Post a Comment