Friday 17 April 2015

Mia's Review: Benzac AC Gel 5% [Sponsored]


If you didn't know, I've been a long time supporter of Benzac AC 2.5 (this is my 3rd or 4th tube in the picture) and when SampleStore offered an advertorial opportunity for their 5% gel, I was more than glad to be able to do the 'upgrade'.


Benzac is a complete range of products to help treat acne. Its products are dermatologically-tested, safe and gentle to help us achieve clear, healthy and acne-free skin.
And of course, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my package came along with a liquid cleanser (RTP $14.90) to combat oiliness without drying out our skin, and also a facial scrub (RTP $10.90) to help remove impurities and unclog our pores! 

The full range of Benzac cleansers comes in 5 different choices of scrub, liquid and foam cleansers and the water based acne-treatment gel comes in 3 strengths, 2.5% (RTP $16.50), 5% (RTP $17.50) and 10% (RTP $18.50).

Benzac AC Gel is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne problems with the following key benefits:
1. Kills P-acnes, an acne causing bacteria, within 48 hours.
2. Unblocks pores with a mild peeling effect
3. Absorbs excess oil without stripping skin of moisture
4. Reduces risk of irritation: Unique Acrylates Copolymer (AC) Technology releases glycerin to keep skin hydrated and comfortable. 


If you follow my blog, you would have read a short post of my acne-busting tip that includes Benzac AC 2.5, so let's move on with AC 5!

During my few days of testing out 5% on my face, it was fortunate for me that I didn't have any huge pesky pimples but I experienced a minor breakout of tiny 'cloggy' pimples across forehead, probably due to the hot weather and insufficient facial products used while I was in Malacca. And so, I used 5% on them, and was surprised to find that they almost went away (dried off) overnight. The efficacy of 5% is definitely much better as compared to using 2.5%, whereby I'll probably need at least full day usage (2x) or 2 days for the breakouts to tone down. 

However, after 3 days of usage, I realised that my forehead and cheeks (areas I apply the gel on) are getting drier and my cheeks even started to feel 'sandy' even though no visible peeling occurred. And of course, I didn't have such problems with 2.5% (else I wouldn't have continued using it for years) and I reckon it's because my facial skin is too sensitive and not hydrated enough by itself, which is why 5% ended up being like an overkill for me. 

So efficacy versus drying effects, you got to make the choice here depending on your own facial condition, and I'll definitely stick to my old favourite of 2.5% on my face.

However, I feel that 5% is an excellent choice for combating pimples on other parts of my body (namely back and chest) with thicker skin. Previously when I used 2.5% on them, it'll take at least 2 to 3 days of usage before the pimple heal. 
However with 5%, the angry redness and bump seems to tone down with just 1 application overnight and there wasn't any issue with drier or flaky skin no matter how much gel I used to spot-treat my blemishes (but by right you shouldn't put too much gel).

So, to conclude, if you're a new user to Benzoyl Peroxide, or suffer from sensitive or extremely dehydrated skin, do start low (2.5%) and slowly work your way up to a 5% or even 10% should you feel that the efficacy is lacking. 

To redeem a free sample of Benzac AC 5%, check out SampleStore website HERE
You can also find full range of Benzac Products at the following places:
National Skin Centre
Selected Guardian, Unity and Watsons stores.

Till then,
Mia Foo

25 comments:

  1. I saw the advertisement recently about how it doesn't dry out the skin! Thanks for your review, I did the AGNES treatment which really helped for me skin! Thank god for that treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fortunate enough to have low maintenance skin, I just wash it with water and Dove beauty bar twice a day and dab some Human Nature Sun Flower oil before I sleep. And that's about it. But my sister and mom have dry skin and gets the occasional break outs, I'll definitely let them know about Benzac products. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like a fantastic product range - I am lucky in that respect however my creams are now more for anti ageing :( Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this recently but luckily for me i dont have to use all these products on me. Interesting fact here is that it dries out quite fast as compared to other products i have heard of in the market. Thanks for this review can recommend to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Benzoyl peroxide has long been known to be effective for pimples. But it really boils down to good sleeping hours and good facial hygiene when it comes to having a clear facial skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so effective! I've been using this for years. I love how it doesn't dry my skin.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's helpful advice, starting from 2.5 before 5, if it were me i would've used the 5 because it was more potent

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I think I should try this. Ever since I got off the pill, my acnes came back :(

    I think I would go for the 2.5% and you should stick with that too. If you are adventurous, perhaps use the 5% for areas that have acne for that one day peel and continue the rest of the week with 2.5%. That way, you can still use both for the best results ;) Thanks for sharing this review. I shall check out the SampleStore!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never really have problems with pimples. They appear when I am stressed out and forget to care for my skin. When pimples become unmanageable, I use tretinoin. Might try benzac after reading this. Most of the time, Dove soap and water is all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These acne removers are just supplemental to having a n acne-free skin. I believe getting early to bed is a a must.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have problems with pimples. I only have pimples if my monthly period is coming, that's it. But it is great to know that there is a product that can help get rid of acne, hope this will ease your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Acne is a real pain and hats off to you for the honest review

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice they have different level to match the approach on the treatment of acne. This is a lot better than just doing a single mode.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My problem is whiteheads or milia. I dunno if Benzac can be use to treat it too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I have milia too. May I know if you've tried benzac and whether it works? Or have you found out any other methods to removing them? I hope I do not have to resort to laser to get rid of them as it is so expensive and painful T.T
      Thank you!

      Delete
  15. I have used this as a presciption by my dermatologist, it did dry out my skin but worked really well.
    <a href="http://whatfatemahsays.com>Fatemah Sajwani | What Fatemah Says </a >

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. VLCC provides a wide array of the latest, well-researched dermatological solutions. Acne Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blog. Thanks for Sharing Informative blog.
    Kolors is the best in Acne Treatment with some of the most experienced personnel in our wings, as we bring end-to-end holistic solutions with our skin care treatment clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi, i just want to ask if what the difference of color purple packaging of benzac spot treatment and white with blue packaging benzac water base gel?? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought benzac but the pharmacist gave me, benzac in purple packaging and its only gel, not water base gel? theres any differences between the two benzac? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks god i found this cream back im glad coz very effective...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Life slimming and cosmetic clinic is one of the highly approved anti ageing treatment with an expert team of highly trained and experienced professionals offering the most efficient, cost-effective and long-lasting solutions

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information.

    glycerin for face at night

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice Post, Are you looking for a Weight loss Treatment Please click the link.Cool sculpting Treatment
    Slimming Centers in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete