Friday 11 August 2017

Mia's Recipe: Apple-Banana Cinnamon Muffin

Recently I decided to bake some banana muffins with applesauce and a quick search online brought me to THIS recipe for some Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins, but it just turned out way too moist, like a badly cooked oatmeal porridge packed into muffin cups.
Nope, shan't eat that.

So I decided to work on the recipe and make some tweaks here and there (basically get rid of most of the oats and add in some legit banana) to get my own wholemeal apple-banana cinnamon muffins!



So let's get over the ingredients so we can get started!

For (roughly) 12 muffins, you'll need:

2 eggs
1 medium (very riped) banana, mashed (about 110g for mine)
190g unsweeten applesauce
(basically you combine your banana & applesauce and get a total of 300g)
75g unsalted butter (melted)
100ml milk
225g wholemeal flour
70g castor sugar
(or baking sugar replacement)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
instant oats (for toppings - optional)

Just like any type of muffins, preparation work for the batter is extremely easy.
First, mix your melted butter and sugar until well combined, before mixing in the eggs. Then, add in your banana-applesauce mixture, milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. 

In another bowl, add in all your dry ingredients and give it a quick whisk to remove any lumps before pouring in the wet ingredients. 
Using a balloon whisk, fold the wet and dry ingredients together. Be very careful not to overmix the batter to avoid getting tough muffins and I find "folding" with a whisk is so much easier (and takes less strokes) as compared to using a spatula. 
I barely took 10 folds to finish up my batter. :)

With that, just evenly distribute your batter into 12 standard sized muffin cups. The muffins are going to rise, but as they're wholemeal, they're not going to rise THAT much so it's safe to fill your muffin cups to almost full. 
Give them a good tap on the counter to remove any air bubbles and sprinkle some instant oats over the top before sending them to bake at 190 degree Celsius for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


And yes, in the end I got lazy of spooning the batter into the muffin cups so I decided to bake the remaining batter in a mini pound cake tin instead (which took me an additional 10 minutes to bake). 

These muffins are lightly sweet with a mix of apple and banana flavour and a hint of cinnamon, quite moist and fluffy (but not THAT fluffy because it's wholemeal, don't set your bars too high on fluffiness) and best of all, each muffin will only set you back by about 150 kcals. 

Till then,
Mia Foo

4 comments:

  1. Wow!You did well. I hope I can bake too like you. You make it look so easy. Love the banana cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an interesting recipe... baking is really my frustration.. i tried many times yet i failed (but still trying haha)... this seems like a great and easy recipe to try.. thanks for the details.. will definitely try this one (hopefully I'll do it right this time haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this seemed to really looks like so luscious and very soft. I love how you have provided the recipe in a detailed way. I will surely try this at home if I get the chance. I actually haven't tried a apple banana cinnamon, mostly just a banana cinnamon. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I would love to try this out one time. Its so Nice to try new recipes from other people. It makes me always happy to be in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete