Sunday 5 November 2017

Mia Bakes: Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Nope, I'm not planning to go on a gluten-free diet because there's tons of ill-informed "weight loss tips" floating out there saying it helps with losing weight. 
IT DOESN'T! 
Gluten is not evil, you absolutely do not need to cut it out unless you're gluten-intolerant or have celiac disease. 
So the reason why I tweaked out this gluten-free recipe based off allrecipes (using quick-cook oats) is because I found a 3/4 full bag of sweet potato flour sitting in the cabinet, and have no idea how it got itself there and how else am I supposed to be using it for. A quick google search tells me it can be used as a replacement for normal wheat flour, and so I thought, alright here it goes!

So let's get over the ingredients so we can get started!


For a batch of roughly 21 to 24 small cookies, you'll need:

115g unsalted butter, soften
60g muscovado sugar
(or light brown sugar)
60g sugarless sugar blend 
(or castor sugar)
80g sweet potato flour
180g quick-cook oats
(180g was all I have left, and it worked!)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
100g semi-sweet chocolate chips

First up, cream the butter and sugars until the butter gets "fluffed up" before whisking in the egg and vanilla extract. Add in all the dry ingredients and fold until almost fully combined and then fold in the chocolate chips until just combined. 

Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and give each of them a firm press to flatten them down as they will not spread much during baking. 
Send them into an oven pre-heated to 190 degree Celsius for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies turn slightly golden brown (if you prefer your oatmeal cookies crisp/crunchy like me). 

 And tadaa~

These cookies are crunchy and slightly crisp at the edges, not too sweet, and gluten-free!
Per serving of 1 cookie has 86 kcals with 11.2g carbs, 4.7g fats and 0.9g protein. 

Till then,
Mia Foo

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing a lot of dessert baking lately with coconut flour, but I really like the idea of using sweet potato flour. I'm not certain how readily available it would be at a regular grocery store, so I may have to try to find it at an international market. Thanks for sharing the recipe...I look forward to trying the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awareness brings in lot of restrictions. Earlier this gluten was totally unknown but off late with too many mentions people have become too conscious of consuming it. Thanks for this wonderful recipe. I will try it out just to taste what it is like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took note of the recipe. Will be baking some this afternoon. It's back.to school tom and I.would want to make a few cookies for the boys before they head to school.again. good thing we have the ingredients here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chocolate chip cookies however I can get them. I haven't tried gluten free cookies yet. I'm sure they'd taste just as good since they have chocolate. Will keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Mia. I love baking but had been neglecting it for months. Will try this really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat whatever comes my way, whether it is gluten or something else. As long as it is vegetarian, I don't mind.
    I have a baking oven but , surprisingly, my wife hasn't used it for ages.
    Whats's going on?

    ReplyDelete