Wednesday 18 November 2020

Mia Eats: East Coast Commune at Marine Cove

-credits to East Coast Commune-

Yes, a new cafe has finally popped up at Marine Cove! 

-credits to East Coast Commune-

Marine Cove at East Coast Park is usually where I end my morning jogs every Sunday (I've ventured on towards Parkland Green just a handful of times), so I actually knew that a new cafe is coming while they're still in the midst of construction. Haha, but I just didn't drop by the very first Sunday they opened. 

Anyhow, I still dropped by the following week (or was it 2 weeks?) after their official opening for a quick breakfast with the HB after my Sunday jog. They're open at 9am and the HB actually reached the cafe at around 840am (he doesn't jog with me) to find himself 3rd in line. And by the time I arrived at somewhere around 850am, there were about 7 groups of patrons waiting in line already. 
Like, WHUTT?
I know, with the current COVID19 situation, it's always better to make a reservation at any eatery you plan to go, regardless of how unpopular they've always been. But here at ECC, they do not accept reservations on weekends, so.... just queue, lor


Perhaps due to COVID19, the table arrangement at the spacious cafe is rather spaced out, hence seating capacity may be compromised, which explains the queue 

Iced Latte

The coffee, although not stellar, was still pretty okay. But I'm a little miffed that they do not serve their lattes with a stirrer. I'm all for no plastic straws, but hey I wanna mix my espresso shot with the milk thoroughly before I drink, too! There's also no sugar syrup served alongside my coffee. I typically do not add sugar to my coffee, but it was cheatday and I wouldn't mind to have some sweet coffee once in a while. 

Oh well, perhaps they expect patrons to specifically request for both the stirrer and sugar syrup, or perhaps the HB has declined their offer to serve the coffee with sugar, I can't be sure. 


Fried Chicken & Corn Waffles

You know, I wanted to visit the cafe for their sourdough waffles. But then I got distracted by "Fried Chicken & Waffles" and failed to realise that the fried chicken is served with CORN waffles instead. I can't be sure if the base of the waffle is still sourdough or not, (can hardly taste any distinctive difference) but there's definitely bits of corn kernels tucked away inside the waffle, which was quite unnecessary for me. While both the HB and I love a good waffle that's TOTALLY CRISP on the outside and fluffy on the inside, ECC's corn waffles are soft and moist throughout. Oh well, taste wise it's still pretty good; but texture wise it's not my jam. 


It didn't help that their chef chose to serve the sides of spicy picked daikon directly on top of the waffle, which made that half of the waffle soaked through with the pickled juice and all soggy and semi-disintegrated. 
The fried chicken was also just normal, at best. Nothing fancy with their marinate flavour, nor exceptionally tender and juicy. 

And the verdict is, I will probably still want to revisit, just it's just to try out the sourdough waffles, as I've not seen one anywhere else (yet). But if you're asking if I will return for their coffee and fried chicken & waffles, I guess you should know my answer...

East Coast Commune is located at 1000 ECP, Marine Cove #01-03.
For more information, visit their website

Till then,
Mia Foo


2 comments:

  1. Hello Mia! Really appreciate you taking time to come by and write this review. All our waffles are made with a sourdough batter and there are some additional add ons depending on the waffle dish ordered. For example, the fried chicken waffle is sourdough batter + corn; the nutty banana waffle is sourdough batter + peanut butter. Hope this clarifies and look forward to seeing you again :)

    Team ECC

    ReplyDelete