Tuesday 8 October 2013

Mia's Recipe: Japanese (New York) Cheesecake Cupcake

As in my Japanese Cotton Cheesecake post last week, I've mentioned I went on a baking spree that Sunday. Now, to be exact, I went on a cheesecake baking spree. Apart from the cotton cheesecake, I've also baked some NY cheesecake cupcakes. Now I can't really differentiate NY cheesecake against Japanese cheesecake (those sticks selling at Beard Papa), so if you know how to, please tell me!
Now, let's get on with the ingredients so we can get started. 

We will need:

For the crust base
Vanilla Wafers or Digestive Biscuits - 120g
Butter - 40g 
(You might wanna use a bit more butter with Digestives)

For the cheesecake
Cream Cheese - 200g
Caster Sugar - 60g
Eggs - 2 nos.
Fresh Cream - 150ml
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp.
AP Flour - 3 tbsp.
Butter - 20g

First up, melt your butter in a hot water bath and then place the wafers/biscuits in a ziplock bag and smash them with a rolling pin or any alternatives. Otherwise, you can crush them in a food processor until fine. 

 I crushed my digestives with a wooden spoon, actually. 

 Mix in the melted butter until they resembles wet sand. 

Spoon the wet crumbs mixture into the muffin tin/sillicon cups lined with cupcake liners. I've used 1.5 to 2 tsp. each and then felt that my base was too thin when my cupcakes were baked. Will recommend doubling what I've used (3 to 4 tsp.) on a No. 8 cupcake liner. 
Press down the crumbs firmly into the cupcake liners and leave in the fridge for them to set for at least 30 minutes. 
Meanwhile, we shall prepare the cheesecake mixture.

Beat the softened cream cheese until smooth and add in caster sugar. Mix well.
Add eggs (beaten) bit by bit, mixing well with each addition. 
Add fresh cream and mix well.
Add lemon juice and mix well. 
Sift in flour and mix well. 
Finally, add in butter (melted) and mix well until the mixture is smooth. 
The batter will be pretty runny and liquidy. 
Pour the mixture into the crusted cupcake liners until 3/4 filled and bake at 170 degree Celsius for 20 minutes. 
Do not check the readiness of the cupcakes by inserting a toothpick, expecting them to come out clean, because they shouldn't!
I gauged by seeing my cupcake tops getting slightly browned (some didn't because my oven sucks) and developing this layer of sheen over the top. If you tap the top of the cupcakes, they should have this subtle 'jiggly' texture to it. 

Cool the cupcakes down to room temperature and chill them in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. 


If you can see, the insides remain very soft and moist. I didn't do a good job with tapping out the air bubbles, though. :(

Till then,
Mia


0 comments:

Post a Comment